- Art & Culture
Complesso e Pia Casa di Ricovero Santa Chiara
With the unification of Italy, a new charitable Congregation was also established in Lodi (pursuant to the new legislative provisions on Opere Pie), which began with the Royal Decree of 26th July 1863. This new institution, which maintained its headquarters in the Monastery of the Poor Clares, had, among other powers, the administration of the Alms Institution, the Mount of Piety, the Pious House of Shelter, as well as other and smaller Charitable Homes established <<in favour of certain weaker segments of society>>.
To these was added, in 1865, the important Opera Pia Asili d'infanzia. All the premises of the former Convent of Santa Chiara, apart from the few offices intended for the headquarters of the Congregation of Charity, were then occupied by the Pious House of Shelter, the institution that, albeit with some differences, continued the work of the House of Industry and Shelter. At the Casa d'Industria (House of Industry), poor male and female invalids living in Lodi were welcomed every day only during the day and were <<provided with a certificate of poverty>>. People entered the Home early in the morning and stayed there until the evening without being allowed to leave during the day, unless they obtained special permission.