- Art & Culture
The seat of civic institutions since its construction in 1284 by the Florentine town governor Loggio degli Agli, the Broletto is the civil building - despite being greatly transformed over the centuries - that most represents the Gothic style. An example of this are the four pointed arches supported by large columns forming the portico of the Piazza. On the upper floor are three mullioned windows with two round arches set into an arch with elegant small columns, which were discovered after restoration in 1934. Piazza Broletto also houses the ancient baptismal font, which was converted into a fountain in 1953.