- Art & Culture
- Religious Tourism
Chiesa di S. Maria Maddalena
The church of Santa Maria Maddalena is located in the heart of the lower town and has very ancient origins.
Located in the heart of the lower town, the Church dedicated to the Magdalene has very ancient origins.
Built by incorporating the pre-existing Romanesque building on the right side and with an opposite alignment to it, the church has a single longitudinal nave, with an ellipsoidal layout articulated in niches - chapels arranged symmetrically on both sides, to which two modules, trapezoidal and rectangular, are added towards the entrance and presbytery. Above the projecting cornice are large windows that shed light onto the central dome and ribbed vaults. The tondo and the pendentives of the central dome are frescoed with "The Glory of Saint Mary Magdalene", "Theological Virtues" and "Exaltation of the Cross", the presbytery vault with "The Deposition", all works by Carlo Innocenzo Carloni (between 1752 and 1756). The altars in polychrome marble, with rich friezes, elegant balustrades, and wrought iron gates, are the work of local marble workers and ironworkers between 1752 and '57. The double-octagon sacristy, based on an autograph design by Veneroni, features wooden cupboards of the same period. The four-order bell tower of a more classical form was erected between 1751 and '52 by the Sartorio brothers. The curvilinear façade is a reconstruction in eclectic style dating back to 1888.
Also noteworthy are the stuccoes of the early church, dating from 1643, and the polychrome wooden statue of the "Penitent Magdalene" and the miraculous Crucifix dating from the 14th-15th centuries.